I have been a coffee addict for years now. My favorite coffee comes from a New Jersey-based coffee roaster named ROOK (If you don’t know, well now you know) so I may be a bit biased. BUT the fact remains; Death Wish Coffee is currently killing it. They even managed to place an ad in the upcoming Super Bowl.
So how does a small business get an ad into the big game?
- Apply for Intuit’s Small Business, Big Game contest.
- See #1.
This year, Intuit has selected Death Wish Coffee Co. as the winner of the contest. Why is this worth a blog post? Refer to section above.
Seriously, this is a big deal. If you haven’t heard of Death Wish Coffee than you are probably living under a rock… or still drinking Chock Full O’Nuts. Every industry is specializing nowadays so companies like Death Wish can take advantage of a niche market–consumers who really really need caffeine (and a lot of it). The company claims that it’s blend is “the world’s strongest coffee” and from what I hear, the claim seems to be true.
This campaign is a big deal for a few reasons:
- It is a way to get a small business into the world where only BIG BUSINESS can usually compete.
- It promotes both brands: Death Wish Coffee Co & Intuit Quickbooks.
- Intuit looks like a hero for promoting a small business (to the general public & small business owners)
- The BUZZ
- This campaign disrupts the typical Super Bowl Advertisement. That alone will cause a greater interest in the product. We may not see a massive increase in website visits or purchases yet, but once this airs just about everyone will know Death Wish Coffee and the small business-supporting Intuit brand.
The chart above shows visits to the Death Wish website are on the rise (currently visits reach roughly 120,000 a month).
It will be interesting to see how this commercial affects the number of visits. It wouldn’t be a bad thing to be in Death Wish Coffee’s shoes right about now.
Check out the spot:
Here is what Joe Baratelli, RPA chief creative officer, said about the opportunity,”It’s incredibly gratifying to create a Super Bowl spot for a small business—the unsung heroes of the communities where we live and work every day. And Death Wish Coffee has an incredible brand personality and a great team driving the company. We were able to create a spectacle of Vikings sailing to battle to show off the fiercely caffeinated coffee and ultimately help QuickBooks with its mission of fueling small business success.”